Tuesday, March 28, 2006

PeopleSoft Upgrade Applications

If you would have noticed the recent changes to the Side bar in this blog you would have known that I did upload the recent demo version of Reapply Customizations utility which I had built. To actually know the approach followed by me in building this Tool take a look at this.

I’ve also included the Help document for all these Tools to walk you through the steps required to run the applications. If you have any questions kindly let me know. I would like to hear your feedback after you test these applications. I would also love to hear your suggestions for improvement.

But be warned you will need at least three instances to test the Reapply Customization application. I know – Flash Demo for Reapply Customization is pending. I am working hard on making Reapply Customization work for “Pages” – this is a challenge basically because PNLFLDID was added to PSPNLFIELD only after PeopleTools 8.40. We can see PeopleSoft Compare process failing in identifying exact page Customizations in the PRT files prior Tools 8.40. One of my friend actually wants to know why LASTUPDOPRID field was not added to PSPNLFIELD, I think it is more to do with the tedious task of updating this field for position changes (position changes are actually not very significant in the Report). I think PS could have added this field and updated it when something other than the position of the field changes in the Page – these are just thoughts.

The Customization Analyzer utility available in the Demo version does not provide the complete features – the missing portion is that the utility gives all the Navigation paths for each object in the report to help the functional consultant.

The Reapply Customization utility is aimed at providing comprehensive Documentation for the objects to which it reapplied the customizations. Certain tweaks would actually make these comments more comprehensive.

If you are interested in taking a challenge - try writing an algorithm to achieve Reapply Customizations for Pages (Points to ponder – Must be Tools compatible, Must only reapply customizations.). Any luck on this let me know.

Test it and let me know your feedback at nextrevolutioninerp@yahoo.com

1 comment:

PS-GUY said...

Think about PeopleCode too because Pages and PeopleCode are two things which I still have to do manually. My plan for PeopleCode is to make an application read PC from the backend convert it to text and then print the comparison report. Once I make the desired changes in the Comparison report which will also include the new delivered code, another application must read the changed report and upload the PC into the database...ofcourse stamp it properly and document the changes. I still have a long way to go before I could realize it. Think about it, these things are always fun ;)